Sunday, April 12, 2015

MY MOTOR


While building my motor, I ran into several problems

1) Though the current flowed like it was suppose to, resulting in sparks at the brushes, the motor was not able to turn. In order to solve this problem, I needed to build a new armature. Once the second armature was put into use, the motor was able to turn.

2) During my first attempt of creating the coil, I realized that many of the wires crossed with the others. To solve this, I put a layer of duct tape between each wrapping to act as a buffer and prevent crossings between wires.

3) Once I had been able to get my motor running, I saw that after several seconds, the shaft would slide away and the brushes would lose contact with the terminal, causing the motor to stop. I used my leftover single-strand wire to solve this problem. By twisting the wire around the metal rod, I was able to create a miniature spring clamp collar clip, which was able to hold the rod in place and prevent any movement. In addition, I extended the length of the terminal so that the brushes would have more room to make contact with the brushes.

4) When wrapping the magnet wire to create the armature for my motor, I realized that the way in which I wrapped the wire resulted in multiple crossings. To help reduce the number of crossings, I wrapped only one layer of magnet wire. I started from the end of one rod and wrapped all the way to the other end. I then took the two ends and brought them to the terminal, therefore creating a circuit.


CREATION



       
             STEP 1: Drill in "L" brackets to hold metal rod















          
           STEP 2: Drill in "L" brackets to hold brushes













STEP 3: Wrap tape around rod to create terminal 

















  
STEP 4: Tape metal rods together to form armature
















STEP 5: Wrap metal rods w/ magnet wire to allow current flow















STEP 6: Wrap "L" brackets w/ single strand wire to create coil















 
STEP 7: Tape coil on baseboard (place armature between brackets)
















STEP 8: Wrap terminal in tin foil and add brushes (to create circuit)
















STEP 9: Wrap tape around rod to create holder for thread)

















THE FINISHED PRODUCT



No comments:

Post a Comment